Friday, November 23, 2007

The Big 3-0


It was fun seeing "Happy Birthday, AthenasArmoury!" from Etsy on the top of my screen!

So, this past Tuesday I hit the big 3-0. It's funny to think that I'm not in my 20's anymore, but I'm not upset. Age has never been a thing to upset me. As a matter of a fact, I usually have to figure out how old I am because I never remember. Weird, I know. But I digress. It was a fun day with lots of well wishes and balloons and the yummiest dinner ever with my man. But what I wanted to share with you, are the very special items that my loving man and my mother (who was so upset to not be here) gifted me.

When I first started writing this blog, I chronicled my very first metalsmithing class where I was learning to make a ring. Needless to say, I was hooked. I love metal, I love the intricate work it entailed, I love the tools. My teacher recommended this amazing tool kit, which my mother gave me for my birthday. There are so many fun tools in it and I can't wait to play. (Mental Note: Must get some metal.) Hello, my name is Janine and I'm a tool junky.

I've been talking for a while about getting a real jeweler's bench from one of the guys I work with. He's been "forgetting" to bring it in to me for quite some time now. Little did I know that Scott made arrangements to give it to me for my birthday! It was made sometime in the 1930's and it's a little moldy, so it needs to be cleaned but is otherwise in great shape. I'm playing around with the idea of refinishing it, but just don't have the space in the garage to do it right now. I'm afraid if I bring it into my work room and get it all set up, I'm not going to take it out to refinish it later, though.



Oh, and he would be upset if I didn't mention that not only did he get me this amazing bench and tools, but also some Wonder Woman gear. =D


2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Happy Birthday- You are a Wonder Woman!
cool workbench too

Athena's Armoury said...

Thanks, Kirsten!

I just spent 4 hours(!) cleaning my bench. It was built in 1931 and I think it was in storage for at least the last 30 years. So why did it take so long to clean? Imagine what 30 years of dust, dirt, and mildew looked like. It was so clean and pretty by the time I was done, but I was so dirty!