Monday, June 21, 2010

The 3 Day: Weeks Sixteen & Seventeen Progress Report

A couple of fun things...
~The other night at work, the guy that's in charge of our retail department walked into my office and said "There's only one left and it needs to go to a good home" and proceeded to hand me a Pink Ribbon Sisterhood luggage tag. It's so cute and so sweet of him to think of giving it to me. It will undoubtedly be on my duffel bag for the event.

~The 3 Day is offering a gift card giveaway for both me and you when you register for the walk. We'll each receive a $35 gift card to use on 3 Day gear at Shop3Day.com™. So, if you've been thinking about signing up, here's how to take advantage of the special offer:
1. Register online at The3Day.org, over the phone at 800-996-3DAY, or at a Get Started Meeting.
2. Enter the discount code BRINGAFRIEND in the online registration form.
3. When the registration form asks for the ID# of the friend who referred you, enter this Participant ID: 4897011


Training
For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to go for a five mile training walk in the middle of the day in Florida summer heat. It wasn't the best plan, but I got through it. I saw a snake on that walk and I stood in someone's sprinkler for a minute. =)

I did another five mile walk, but did it in the evening this time. That made a world of difference! I was feeling pretty tired when I started out, but my energy seemed to pick up as I continued on.

Yesterday, I did my first six mile walk and miracle of miracles, had very little foot pain or discomfort while I was out!!! The bunions that I never knew I had (found out about them for the first time when I went to the podiatrist) were hurting but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that. I'm also concerned if I'm making them worse. After 4 miles, I stopped by the house to have a little snack (ice cold oranges are amazing!! and some chips for the salt), refill my liquids, to use the bathroom, and of course stretch. The only other issue I had was at about mile 5 when I started to feel hot spots on my little toes and on the bottom of the balls. I stopped back by the house to change my socks, put on bandages, and reapply Body Glide. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and try shoe shopping again so I can start wearing my moisture wicking socks (they don't fit in my current shoes with the orthotics). Shoe shopping has been such a horrible experience that I have been trying to avoid it. 6 miles!!! Woohoo!!! Oh! And I did it in a hour and thirty five minutes!

The past couple of weeks, my cross training consisted of a few five mile bike rides around my neighborhood. Tonight, I can't wait to go home to do some yoga; after yesterday's six mile walk (and cleaning two bathrooms!!) I need it.

Oh, and more good news: insurance approved four more physical therapy sessions. Seems like an arbitrary number since they aren't paying for any of it (I have to reach an insane deductible before they chip in anything) but it's better than nothing. I was actually so tired and so relaxed at PT this past week, that I actually started to fall asleep on the table. All of this PT actually is a lot of work and it's costing money, but I'm getting better (six miles!) and I really do enjoy going there.

Something that just occurred to me recently: come October, I'll be walking the equivalent of 2 1/2 marathons when I do this event!! I hadn't thought about it like that before. Saying it that way, it does sound kind of crazy. lol.


Fundraising
Things have been fairly quiet on the fundraising front lately. I have one donation that I'm hoping to see in the next week, so that's good. After this insane week at work, I should get more Pink Warrior stuff made. I'll be sending out a newsletter to my Athena's Armoury subscribers about the new line, so if you want to be included leave a comment below with your e-mail addy. I'm also planning on sending out an e-mail to friends, family, & co-workers that may not be following my blog just letting them know how things are going so far.


Mileage to date on training walks: 72
Goal: $2,300
Achieved: $2,054 or 89%
Remaining: $246
Countdown: 131 days until the event!

If you're enjoying keeping track of my progress, please consider supporting me in my effort to eradicate breast cancer. No amount is too little or too much. Thank you!!

Hey Pink Warriors! Come get some armor (really chain maille jewelry).
All proceeds to benefit my fundraising for The 3 Day!

5 comments:

Kristen Sager Cincotta said...

Yay - six miles!! Good for you!!

~ Kristen

Athena's Armoury said...

Thank you! Every new mile I add, I get really excited. I've come a long way from being injured, but I still have a long way to go!

MustBeNuts said...

Wow great job on the 6 miles! What an amazing feet (hee hee wrong one I know!) after all of your pain troubles. Great time too, wow! Your fundraising total is amazing, too. You should feel so good about what you are accomplishing!

Athena's Armoury said...

lol. Thanks, Deb!

Margie said...

So glad to hear that the PT is working so well for you and that you're up to 6 miles! Woot!!! I had my last PT yesterday and have been cleared to gradually get back out there. Hoping to have as much success with that as you have!