Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Etsy Bloggers Street Team Theme: Orange

I've been racking my brain trying to think of a fantastic project I can do using orange jump rings or O-rings, but not having any in stock at the moment put a serious damper on that! But then, I realized that I already have some orange already in both of my shops! I've got some orange pendants in my original Etsy shop, Beach Bum Creations.



But, even more exciting than supplies is something that I've made. Although, not really orange, copper's as close as I've got! You can find this Mobiused Rosette Bracelet in Athena's Armoury, my new shop for chain maille.



That's probably one of my all time favorite bracelets. I made one for myself and always get compliments on it. It was made using 18 gauge copper rings with, I believe, 1/4" inner diameter. It's a variation on the classic Euro 4-1 chain maille weave (most commonly seen in armour).

Cleaning Copper
I've had mine for quite some time now and it's starting to get a little dull, but that's easily fixed. Just mix together some lemon juice and salt, add bracelet, then slosh around a little bit. However, you must make sure you rinse it off!! The salt will make the bracelet crusty if you let it sit and the acid in the lemon juice will eat away at the metal. If you want to make extra certain it's clean of the lemon juice solution and perhaps keep the shine a bit longer, you can make a paste with baking powder and water and rub it on the copper. This will neutralize the acid. Then, of course, rinse again and dry. Beautiful, shiny copper once again!

7 comments:

Over The Top Aprons said...

Beautiful color range of "orange" . Your work is lovely. And a great blog. Nice reading!

Kirsten said...

Thanks for the tips on cleaning copper mesh/mail. I haven't tried out a lot of the more natural based cleaners, but I keep reading about them.

Unknown said...

Lovely bracelet! and great tip for cleaning copper!

Lis said...

I love copper but it turns my skin green. That's a beautiful bracelet!

w said...

loverly loverly oranges!

Nora said...

Beautiful Orange Beads! Wow!

Lor said...

That copper bracelet is just gorgeous. Your work is lovely.