Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The 3 Day: Weeks Fourteen & Fifteen Progress Report

I've been a little MIA from the blog and most of the internet for that matter for the past couple of weeks. Not too terribly much has happened, though, so there won't be too much to catch you up on. Let's see what we've got....

I'm continuing to go to physical therapy once a week, do my stretching & strengthening exercises daily, as well as icing daily. Tara, my physical therapist told me to go for two miles and if it felt okay to continue on a bit longer for three. And I did!! There was some discomfort, but no pain. The next walk that she wanted me to do, she said to do three miles and again if it felt good to go for four. I was a little wary to try four: that's further than I had gone before I was injured. Around the second mile of that walk, I wasn't sure I was going to make it: I felt a bit stiff and a little sore. But I pushed through it. I did a full four miles!! I'm just thrilled that I made it! I made good time, too: four miles in one hour and five minutes. As soon as I got home I stretched and my honey made me an ice water foot bath. That felt amazing!! I was worried about stiffness later on, so I then did a hot foot bath, too. I took a couple of anti-inflammatories when I got home and used some Biofreeze when I went to bed. The next day: the tootsies weren't perfect, but they were feeling okay. Big smiles.

Aside from these walks, my usual walking at work, and maybe a quick run into a grocery store I really have not been on my feet at all (walking or standing) for the past 2-3 months. I went on two marathon shopping trips with my mom in these past couple of weeks and was miserable. I was on my feet for way too long and was hurting pretty bad the next day. I'm clearly not ready to be doing anything like that yet.

Also, I went to the podiatrist for a follow up. Talk about a waste of time and money. He basically said "keep doing what you're doing." Thanks. I'm so glad I spent an hour of my life and $100 on that.

I'm so glad that I got the bulk of my fundraising done early!! Somehow I knew that once it came time to training that I was going to need to focus all of my energy on that. I had that feeling even before I got injured. I'm still hoping to do another market or craft fair or something. I have some Pink Ribbon accessories that I'd love to be able to sell, plans for Pink Ribbon sugar cookies, and of course I want to continue to raise awareness.

I've had a few sales from my Pink Warrior Collection on Etsy but no bites from Artfire yet. I'm hoping to get some new pieces made next week when we get my mom moved out of my house. I'm really excited about making a few dream catchers for the collection! I'm also thinking about a charm bracelet and maybe a candle holder.

Speaking of my Pink Warrior stuff... check out this very sweet video of fellow 3 Day walker Kristen (follow her on twitter @kscincotta or her blog). Can you see the little bit of pink dangling from her ears?? Those are the Pink Warrior Earrings that she bought from me! Thanks to the generosity of Rebeca of Blue Buddha Boutique, ALL proceeds from the purchase of those earrings and every single piece of Pink Warrior Chain Maille goes directly to my fundraising. I've never seen such an amazing customer appreciation video. Thank you so much, Kristen!

Mileage to date on training walks: 56
Goal: $2,300
Achieved: $2,054 or 89%
Remaining: $246
Countdown: 144 days until the event!

If you're enjoying keeping track of my progress, please consider supporting me in my effort to eradicate breast cancer. No amount is too little or too much. Thank you!!


MustBeNuts said...

Glad to see you back! Great news on your foot stuff. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to get well :) Your 4 mile time is better than I can do... and I have two working feet!

Keep it up!

Athena's Armoury said...

Thank you! I give a tremendous amount of credit to my physical therapy. Whatever it is that she's doing and has me doing is working. I'm so excited to be improving. =)