Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Finds - Spring Planting Accessories

It's officially Spring and the weather is getting warmer. Mother Nature is blossoming and practically begging Her people to get dirty and start gardening.

My soil is so sandy, I really am afraid of trying to plant anything in it for fear of killing the poor greenling. I currently have a flourishing herb garden in containers. I love these pots:



In case your drooping plantings aren't a giveaway, this handy little garden marker will remind you what to do:



I've been curious about using worm castings as fertilizer. This looks like a great way of trying it out without investing in the worm home and all of the worms. Plus, they upcycle by using misprinted flour bags for their packaging, saving them from going to a landfill.



Have you started your planting yet this season?

4 comments:

Allison Cecil said...

Thank you so much for the lovely feature. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who is excited about Spring!

Vexed Chef said...

A possible way to improve your sandy Florida soil might be to add some cocnut coir to the soil as well as some worm castings, these both retain moisture fairly well and of course the castings add a lot of nutrients, just a thought.

mermaiden said...

funny, i thought i might try to get my worm bin going this year. i bought it 5 yrs ago, and it has stood empty! bad, lazy me.

Athena's Armoury said...

I've been intrigued to try using worm castings in my soil since I first read about it. I just don't really know that much about it.