Tuesday, June 7, 2011

30 Days of Creativity - Day 7: Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

I've been seeing these everywhere online lately and love them.  Actually, I pretty much love the idea of repurposing Mason jars in general.  We have gone through several nice glass or metal store bought soap dispensers and none of them seem to ever hold up as well as the disposable plastic ones you get with the soap already in them.  This seemed to be the perfect solution!  It's a groovy glass and metal container with a pump that works.

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

Heather Bullard's blog tutorial was my starting point.  I didn't have a beautiful vintage mason jar, so I just used what I had on hand.  My lid is the modern canning lid and not the single piece lid that she used, but that's okay.  I decided that I wasn't worried about it being water proof, so I didn't epoxy it.  Plus, if the pump stops working, I can easily replace it since isn't epoxied.  I did, however, put a washer on it to better secure the pump and it worked out really well (it's on good and tight).

Next step: finish all of the store bought liquid hand soap we have in the house, so I can make that myself, too!

No comments: