Did you know that virtually every major advance in the fight against breast cancer has been touched by Susan G. Komen for the Cure? They've helped train more than 400 breast cancer researchers and funded more than 1,800 research projects over the past 27 years? They've provided more money for and community health programs than any entity besides the U.S. government? Komen for the Cure's goal is to "energize science to find the cures.” Komen's contributions to some real victories include:
- More early detection - nearly 75 percent of women over 40 years old now receive regular mammograms, the single most effective tool for detecting breast cancer early (in 1982, less than 30 percent received a clinical exam).
- More hope - the for breast cancer, when caught early before it spreads beyond the breast, is now 98 percent (compared to 74 percent in 1982).
- More research - the federal government now devotes more than $900 million each year to breast cancer research, treatment and prevention (compared to $30 million in 1982).
- More survivors - America’s 2.5 million breast cancers survivors, the largest group of cancer survivors in the U.S., are a living testament to the power of society and science to save lives.
Thank you for your help in eradicating breast cancer. It couldn’t be done without you. If you'd like to help, just visit my 3 Day Personal Page.
And because I'm just thrilled to bits with how well my fundraising is going, I'm going to do something that I've been meaning to do for a long time now. I'd like to host a little giveaway. The very first chain maille weave that I learned was the classic Euro 4-1 which is probably the most well known as it was once used for armor of the knights of yesteryear. For my very first blog giveaway, I'm going to be giving away a copy of the very first Euro 4-1 bracelet that I made. It is made entirely by hand: it started simply as wire that I coiled and cut to create the jump rings used to weave the metal into the Euro 4-1 pattern. It was made with bright aluminum jump rings and measures 8 1/2" (including a 1" extender chain).
The giveaway starts Thursday April 8, 2010 and ends Sunday, April 11, 2010 @ 11:59pm EST. The winner will be announced on: Monday April 12, 2010.
HERE'S HOW TO ENTER:
Each entry must be written in a separate comment and include a way of contacting you (an active blog that you check the comments on, your e-mail, or your Etsy shop where you check the convo's).
* For the first entry/comment – Visit Athena's Armoury on Etsy or Artfire and pick your favorite item. Then comment here and include a link to that item.
Then for additional single entries:
* 1 extra entry/comment – Follow Athena's Armoury on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. Then in a separate comment here, leave the link to your tweet. (Find the tweet URL by clicking on the tweet's timestamp.) Here is some text you can use for Twitter:
* 1 extra entry/comment – Follow this blog. Then leave a separate comment here, letting me know.
For two additional entries:
* 2 extra entries/comment – Make a purchase from Athena's Armoury on Etsy or Artfire.
Then leave a separate comment here, with a link to the receipt/sold item.
* 2 extra entries/comment – Write a blog post about this giveaway and link to http://AthenasArmoury.blogspot.com
Then leave a separate comment here, with the direct link to your blog post.
For FOUR additional entries:
* 4 extra entries/comment - Make a donation of $10 or more to my fundraising efforts for the 3 Day.
Then leave a separate comment here, with the first name and city/state you used for your donation.
Remember, the giveaway starts Thursday April 8, 2010 and ends Sunday, April 11, 2010 @ 11:59pm EST.
Have fun and good luck everyone!!!
I live outside of the USA. Can I enter the giveaway?
Yes! This giveaway is open to everyone, everywhere. Spread the word!
How does this giveaway work?
On the day of the drawing, a random number generator will select one lucky winner.
How will I know if I won?
I will contact the winner (using the method you left in your comment) to request your mailing address. You will have one week to respond to the e-mail from me. If there is no response, another name will be picked.
How will everyone find out who won?
The winners will be announced on Monday, April 12, 2010 right here on the blog.