Monday, May 3, 2010

The 3 Day: Week Ten Progress Report

Training
Well, the good news is that my feet don't seem to be constantly uncomfortable and for the most part, I've been able to start walking normally again. The bad news is that it doesn't take long after I start walking for them to start to hurt. Now, I'm not talking about training walks here, I'm just talking about walking in my daily life. I have to be honest with you, I'm having a hard time imagining being able to walk the event with how quickly they start to hurt. I realize that I've still done a lot for the cause with raising the money and the awareness that I've been able to raise, but it really meant a lot to me to be able to participate in the event.

I think I need to pull myself up and stop thinking about it. Yes, training starts in just a few weeks and I may not be able to start training with everyone else. But, there is still a very real possibility that I can participate. I shouldn't rule it out yet.

And even if I can't do the 60 miles, I can either walk part of it or it's probably possible to switch and become a crew member so I can still be a part of the event.

In the meantime, I will continue to do my yoga & pilates. I also have a follow up with the doctor this week. Fingers crossed.


Fundraising
The Pink Warrior Chain Maille Collection debuted this week!! You can check out the announcement at this blog post. I also have a special going on from now until Mother's Day (Sunday, May 9): with the purchase of any item from the Pink Warrior Collection, you will receive a silicone breast cancer awareness bracelet, a pink awareness ribbon, and a breast self exam card all for free! The offer is good for a purchase of raffle tickets, too! Check out the details in this blog post.

I spent some time one afternoon calling up a few different stores to try setting up my fundraising table out front (Girl Scouts do it around cookie time). I had heard from many walkers who had done this and were quite successful: easily raising $400-800 over the course of just a few hours. It didn't work out so well for me, however. The answers I got included:
"No."
"That's solicitation. No."
"The store manager isn't here. Call back."
And, my personal favorite: "Isn't it a little early to be fundraising?"

Oh, well, if it's too early, let me just tell breast cancer to go on hold for a little bit while I wait for the appropriate time for fundraising to start. Breast cancer doesn't wait, why should I?

I also had one guy who said that they don't normally let individuals (as opposed to groups like the Girl Scouts) do fundraising because they have no way of tracking the money. I couldn't make him understand that I'm not doing this as an individual, that I am a part of a larger group (like the individuals that are selling Girl Scout cookies). I also offered three different ways for him to "track the money" through the 3 Day. He, apparently, wasn't satisfied with any of that.

Talking to these people was such an aggravating experience. I think I'm going to try asking a few local businesses who may want to do good and don't have to go through "corporate".

I also may try to contact the market that let me set up & see if they have any other space available for me before the market ends for the season. I really do want to get back out in the public eye with all of this.


Mileage to date on training walks: 41
Goal: $2,300
Achieved: $1,964 or 85%
Remaining: $336
Countdown: 180 days until the event!

If you're enjoying keeping track of my progress, please consider supporting me in my effort to eradicate breast cancer. No amount is too little or too much. Thank you!!


Don't forget to check out my raffle benefitting the 3 Day!

5 comments:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

You are so diligent! I hope that your doctor appointment goes well!
Thinking of you,
Michelle-

My Life Under the Bus said...

I don't know if this would help but my doctor told me to try inserts ( like dr Scholls ) over the hard ones he gave me . Now I wear 2 inserts ( UGH ) but the softer one def helped cushion the "medical grade" ones and made my feet way more comfy and they stopped aching after walking. Good Luck !

Shannon said...

Oh, your poor feet!! I hope they get better for you. You have come so far...don't give up yet! You still have a while until the event, maybe they will be better. Sending hugs your way!
~Shannon~

mermaiden said...

whatever ends up happening, you are kicking ass for the cure. don't forget that.

Athena's Armoury said...

Thanks, Michelle! I hope so, too. The appointment is on Thursday...

Bus: My doctor actually told me to avoid the Dr. Scholls because he didn't want my arch collapsing which, I guess, is part of what has inflamed the plantar fascia ligament. {shrug} I can't believe you have to wear 2 inserts! That must make finding properly fit shoes difficult, to say the least. I actually don't mind the inserts he has me in right now. If they're actually don't something, though, I can't tell you.

Thank you so much for the hugs & love, Shannon! You're right, of course. I was really looking forward to the personal challenge of doing the event and it certainly is quite the challenge already!

Julie, thank you for that. I am very proud of the funds and awareness that I've been able to raise. I have a shirt for the 3 Day that says "I will never give up." I think I need to make that my mantra right now and not let my feet get me down.

Thank you all SO much for your support!! Having a virtual family to help keep me going and slap me upside the head from time to time really helps.